Saturday, July 11, 2009

Durgapur Blues-Tales of communication system

During my first 2-3 years of stay(1993-Augusttill 1996),there were only two STD booths in Benachity to Biringi. First we were used to go to the STD booth (it was actually a big room where at least 20-25 people wait to get their turn).There was no queue as such. People wait there after they write/register their numbers. The guy will try to dial the numbers in order but, if u r unlucky your number is busy or connection problem, u need to wait again. Unfortunately though my parents at Hyderabad did not have Phone connection in 1993.So during my first three years, I never tried to dial my parents from Benachity.
Anyway this continued for some time and we had a phone at hostel and I used to wait for my parents to call me at that number on all alternate Sundays during my first year’s stay and on all Sundays later. Unfortunately, from Steel house some of our seniors were making regular personal local calls ,from that number and my parents were getting a busy tone. But I think, I had the best use of the opportunity. I informed those people that I was waiting for my long distance call and requesting them for finishing their local call soon. Though there were some fights initially between some south Indians to localites (I remember one day Venkatesh was extremely angry on a guy and shouted a lot on him. That guy was our senior (of course, we never had any great respect for seniors unless they are from our own department).Some times, I used to get the call only after 1 hour of waiting for various reasons. But after the call I used to feel revitalized and recharged for next week’s chores.
Later our Boss Atul Kapoor got a connection and he offered e to use the phone(receiving).It was a great help to me and I was always appreciative of his help.The communication was becoming better day by day.
By the time my parents got phone connection, it was amazing; almost every 100 yards from our hostel till benachity/biringi ,there were countless number of ISD/STD/PCO booths. The booths were no more crowded. You reach the booth, dial the number and talk to your dear ones. The pulse rates were also drastically reduced for STDs. So we started calling our parents/close friends as and when we wanted. Especially after 7:00 PM it was half rate and 8:30 PM- 1/3 rate. After 11 PM it was ¼ pulses.
During this time some old timers (Durgapur senior citizens) were not happy with the fastest service they are getting because of the countless number of booths. Now they cannot chat (and meet people of similar mindset/habituated to have ‘Adda’) during their wait time before they are connected. One day, I was shocked to see the rush at a public booth on my way to Benachity (thru a short cut) where still the same old procedure of registering the number, 15-20 people waiting to be called and blaming the operator and the world as a whole and having ‘Big ADDA’ (where as there are at least 2-3 other booths which were at a stone’s throw distance). I immediately understood the situation though.

Frankly, all of were benefited to the core-especially ½ and 1/3 pulse rates. This also distributed the traffic. KS Rao benefited (or lost lot of money) by using ¼ pulse. He got engaged during that time (our 4th year in Durgapur) and we all shifted to Bokaro hostel (though Venkatesh, Sashikanth, Sagar, Nag, Jayanth moved to Tagore house). Myself, KS, GOKI, Praveen Chakri, Subbu, George, Sitaram, Sastry, Raj Mohan James, Sarma(he did not shift to our hostel but used to stay with us during his wife’s leave/absence ).

Everyday, sorry…… every night KS used to approach one of us for borrowing some money to call his wife (sorry, was not yet married) for hours together and used to spend Rs.300-400 during ¼ pulse. He was prompt in paying back his debts though, we all were praying god that he gets married soon so that he can start saving. He was irregular to office and used to take countless number of leaves (Of course I am also same kind but I think I only second to him).

No comments:

Post a Comment