Monday, June 15, 2009

Back to school efforts

Last Thursday, my kids were being issued their new books for the ensuing academic year by the school authorities. We were quite early and yet were greeted by a long line of parents/ prospective buyers and some excited students. Dutifully, I joined a queue and waited for my turn to pay first before getting delivery of my booksets. A blackboard displayed the requisite amounts against the respective grades. This actually was my solo venture during this annual exercise and the net total for two kids' books was frankly extravagant! My impulse was to go for my wallet and ensure that I was indeed carrying enough cash - there is no credit facility here. Soon, some bored-of-waiting parents raised the doubt about the actual market price of the bookset and if it would be more economical to purchase them the old-fashioned way. A brief discussion ensued where the animated adults indulged in flashbacks of their childhood days. I could relate to their incredulity at the prices, myself being a product of government schools where new books every year was unheard of ( do hand-me-downs ring a bell?) yet if necessary were quite affordable.

A couple of days later, I visited a fairly big bookstore to get some stationery and the crowd was impatient and chaotic. Many people were on the sidewalk hoping to get in eventually. I came back meekly thanking my lucky stars for not having to go through this near-stampede. Back home, the next step of dressing the books in smart brown sheets with neatly typed labels and favourite kid stickers was already in progress under my wife's deft fingers. I heaved a sigh of relief and realised that we were all set until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment